Monday 19 May 2014

The Reluctant Blogger


“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.”
-          Helen Keller

I have always wanted to travel. I’m not really sure why I haven’t done more.  Ever since I was a teen I would picture far off places and imagine what it would be like to visit. What would it smell like, what would the culture be like and what would the buildings look like? I remember at 16 leaving school thinking ‘one day I’ll go travelling’. One day turned into a job and dreams changed to a career but honestly it has felt more like a distraction from what I feel like I should be doing.

Over the last 3 years the pull has gotten stronger and stronger only to be ebbed buy occasional holidays to places I have never been, foods I have never tasted and seas I have never swum in. I try to convince myself that going to work and buying a house is what I want, maybe it is, but not right now.

I have come to the scary conclusion that to really see some far off places I would have to give up my job and all the securities it affords me and have a truly great adventure. So last December I decided I would go, I wouldn’t be in my job by Christmas 2014 and I would see some of the wondrous planet. I made a hit list and started daydreaming.

Daydreams turned to worries. Will I find a job when I get home? What if I come home bankrupt? What if something bad happens to me while I’m out there? What if something bad happens back home while I’m out there and I can’t get home in time? And then I weighed up all the ‘what ifs’ with one more  question ‘Will I regret it more if I go or if I stay?’

I’m still incredible nervous and excited, travelling so far from home by myself is not how I thought I would see the world but it will get my out of my comfort zone and hopefully allow me to grow in new ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...