Sunday 14 September 2014

Melbourne - Hamer Hall and Melbourne Symphony Orchestra


On Friday night (12.09.14) my friend Hannah took me to Hamer hall to watch Melbourne symphony orchestra preform clasics by Beethoven and Tchaikovsky. I met Hannah 5 years ago (we think) when on a trip to Rome so it was really good to reconnect and get to spend time with a local.

Hamer Hall is part of the arts centre on Southbank and the building itself is incredible. Hannah works in the building and was telling me about ye renovations that they did to the building. The walls in the foyer are all real leather sourced from a cattle tribe in Scandinavia because they were not penned in with barn wire, though because of this people thought it was fake due to it having no imperfections so the designer paid for the leather to be painted with vegetable dye to add imperfections. Crazy right? 

The hall itself is at the time of writing this the most acoustically perfect hall  in the world (if I have remembered my facts correctly) and I think this reflects in the sound quality as it was phenomenal.

The set lasted around two hours and had a guest violinist that has played with orchestras world wide including London's Symphony Orchestra and is highly in demand. It was a really inspirational evening. I think it would be an amazing thing I add to your Melbourne to do lists if you get chance.

I cannot thank Hannah enough for taking me and giving me a chance to do something different, as well as all the advice she gave me on things to do in Melbourne and the rest of Australia. Oh and helping me pronounce Coober Pedy correctly, thanks Hannah! 


4 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful and nothing beats a live orchestra, just spine tingling goodness all round. Glad to see you're having fun lady x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching live music is brilliant and for this I got goosebumps. Definitely a must see, so happy I had the opportunity to do it

      Delete
  2. Oh wow this looks incredible in there! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing, the building isn't done justice by my iPhone photos but it was spectacular.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...