Tuesday 3 November 2015

Stockholm - My Swedish Escape

When I booked to go home to visit my family I decided I needed  holiday while I was back. I realise this will sounds like a contradiction to those of you who haven't lived abroad but visiting home is probably one of the most tiring experiences you can have, lucky for me I was forewarned by other Ex-Pats, and so Stockholm was my adventure of choice to visit my traveling companions. It was honestly the best choice I could have made.

I had never been to Sweden before so it seemed like the perfect serendipidous idea. A break from all the madness, getting to seem my East Coast family and a chance to explore but it ended up being so much more than that. It reminded me why I love traveling, made me realise I love Melbourne and I really want to spend more time here and why being free with no schedule so I can blow away with the wind is so important to me. Finding a balance of that in the future may be quite difficult, especially since I am an all-or-nothing kind of gal.

I spent the time staying with Sarah and travelling into Stockholm center during the days, this was made incredibly easy by the public transport system in place though I did  have my own personal Swedish translators. The weather was stunning and time we spent so relaxed I laughed harder than I had in weeks and finally let my body release some of the tensions I had been carrying about my home trip. I still don't know why I was so nervous about being in England again I just was. Eventually it gave me time to clear the cobwebs from my brain and start to think clearly again, relaxed and happy. It made me want to plan more trips, see new places, explore, live. It became my hideaway, muse and daydream. I really could see myself moving to Stockholm one day, even if it is just for a summer.

I am now so fond of the idea of having somewhere to escape to. Somewhere you can let everything go and just be lost in the moments, I am yet to find this place in Australia but I am going to do my best to find it.

I'll be blogging on my adventures in Stockholm soon but until then tell me in the comments where your escape from life is....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...